oh my god Emma
*crying massive buckets of mommy feels*
I needed this today. :)
people should just reply to anon hate with this
damn dude thats brutal
Every time people say animals don’t have feelings, I show them this.
25 Of The Best Parenting Moments In The Animal Kingdom
this hair, man.
also, i’ve recently stopped wearing pants. CLICK-THROUGH LAZY EYE BATHROOM FASHION GO.
Content warning: This post contains graphic language, slurs and triggering content
This article is heartbreaking. And true.
There is a reason I throttled back on doing a lot of creative gaming content a few years ago. And why I still avoid taking some jobs in the gaming world when they’re offered to me. And why, when we have a female host on any of our Geek and Sundry gaming shows, we have to monitor the comments on YouTube extra, to remove the many comments that are offensive and pollute our community’s spirit of equality. Because I hate that shit.
There is an endemic acceptance in the gamer world that “well, it comes with the territory” when a woman receives threats and harassment and the hateful anonymous internet dialogue is focused on her body and whether they would “do” her or not. I don’t know why this became okay. It’s a vocal minority that has been given way too much power over the industry dialogue, and I am so happy to see more and more articles like this shining the light on what reasonable gamer men and women have been conned into accepting as a given.
NOTHING is a given in this world. And frankly, it taints the art form we so love and keeps it back from becoming more respected and more diverse to not at least TRY to fight it. Gaming deserves more than complacency in this area.
Even posting this link will cause me to receive hateful Tumblr PMs. I can always tell when something I write gets linked on certain places on the internet (like 4 Chan or a few other forums of troll-hood), because I’ll immediately get dozens of hate mails along the veins of what is posted in this article.
Well, I’m a lucky one to be prominent enough to have 10 supporters for every hater. I mostly feel sorry for girls and women who aren’t in my position, who may just give up on gaming when they’re too beaten down to fight anymore.
We have to change that. For the good of what we love doing, gamers! Okay, back to work :)
Continuing in my quest for a lit-themed wardrobe…
FANGIRL! By rainbowrowell! YAY!
I painted this today, and I’m totally going to bring it along to wear at LeakyCon this year. It’s perfect - both for its fangirl-ish-ness, and to wear for the lit track! :D
You are cosplaying a book OMG. I LOVE IT!!
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
I’m still trying to figure out how that is enough milk for four people.
I’m also still trying to figure out why people want me to eat lettuce with nothing on it and act like that is something that is going to give me some kind of nutritional sustenance. Here’s the other thing. I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford to eat some healthy foods. SOME. But I am sick and goddamned tired of these bullshit ass posts trying to judge people for what they’re eating. Have fun with your fucking pinto beans and milk, because I’d rather eat dirt. I can’t imagine why anyone might want a burger and fries over that fucking shit. Can we just put a moratorium on these posts because I go off every fucking time I see one? Never once has a post like this been of any help to anyone. The commenter above made much more eloquent points than I did and I don’t mean to detract from those points. I fully support those points. But I did want to add that I will flip my shit every time I see one of these until either (a) I stop seeing them, or (b) I see one that ACTUALLY HELPS ANYONE. BUT THAT ISN’T THE GOAL HERE - HELPING. THE GOAL IS JUDGING AND SHAMING.
People have been asking for info on the images from this post, so here we go:
- Portrait of the Princess of Zanzibar and her attendant, Scotland
- A servant or enslaved woman, Italy
- Scene from Terence, France
- A Peruvian noblewoman, Italy
- The Agrippine Sibyl, Netherlands
- A Brazilian Woman, Netherlands
- Scene from the Aethiopica, Flanders
- Madamoiselle de Clermont en Sultane, France
- Study of a Woman, Netherlands
- Allegory of Music, Italy
- Portrait of Kalmyk Girl Annushka, Russia
- Dido Elizabeth Belle, Scotland
- Portrait of a Young Woman, Switzerland
- Portrait of a Young Woman, Netherlands
- La Zamba a La Procesion, Peru/Spain
- Their Pride, by Thomas Hovenden, U.S.
- Portrait of a Black Girl, Slovenia
- Fanny Eaton, England
- Photograph of an Unknown Woman
- Eva Green, by Henri Robert. Oil on Canvas, 24 x 20 1/8 inches. 1907. Roland P. Murdock Collection, Wichita Art Museum.
- Unknown Woman from a Portrait for Sale on Ebay